Reading Time: < 1 minute

You’ve separated from your spouse, now what? The questions just keep coming, what will you do? Where will your kids live? How will you divide your property? Who is going to pay for what? It also may not be something you have the stomach for. It’s ok. You may have other options.

In her article titled; “Separation: There are Alternatives to Going to Court”, author Marta Siemiarczuk has outlined some of the options available to help separating couples like you and your spouse resolve their issues outside of court. These options include negotiation, mediation, collaborative family law and private arbitration.

Before starting down the path of any dispute resolution process; whether it is a court proceeding or one of the alternative processes; it is important to speak with a family law lawyer who can help you choose the process that will work best for you and your family.

Click here to read Marta Siemiarczuk’s full article on Separation: There are Alternatives to Going to Court.


This content is not intended to provide legal advice or opinion as neither can be given without reference to specific events and situations. © 2021 Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP.

Have Questions?

Enjoy this article?
Don’t forget to share.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Related Posts

Family Law
Reading time: 4 mins
How to Protect your Inheritance from Separation or Divorce
If you have received an inheritance from a loved one, chances are it was intended for you personally, and not[...]
Family Law
Reading time: 4 mins
Separation Agreements through Mediation: Frequently asked Questions
Since at least 1983, Ontario family courts have encouraged and upheld out-of-court processes wherever possible. Finally, in 2021, the federal[...]
Family Law
Reading time: 2 mins
Common Law Pension Entitlement
Read as Family Lawyer Ira Marcovitch breaks down the question of pension entitlement in a common-law relationship: I was in[...]