Recruitment and Hiring
The Student Coordinator, as well as a committee of various partners and associates, are responsible for the recruitment and hiring of our articling and summer students. We anticipate that we will hire one additional articling student for 2020-2021.
We are looking for creative, energetic individuals with a strong academic background and an interest in one or more of our areas of practice. We want congenial students who will foster an atmosphere of co-operation among all lawyers and staff, and who will demonstrate a sense of responsibility and the initiative to provide high quality legal service.
Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP is proud of its reputation as a bilingual law firm. Although skill in both official languages is not required, we encourage applicants who can work in both English and French.
We recognize that people are our greatest asset and the key to our continued long-term success as a firm. We see the articling experience as the best possible opportunity to assess the personal character and professional potential of our future lawyers.
Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP has progressive policies relating to maternity and family leave, and supports a workplace free of harassment.
Deadlines and Interviews
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 – date by which articling position applications are to be submitted by 5:00 pm EST by students
- Thursday, May 30, 2019 – date by which firms will attempt to make offers of interviews
- Monday, June 3, 2019 to Friday, June 14, 2019 – interview period
- Monday, June 17, 2019 – call day for offers of 2020-2021 articling student positions
beginning at 8:00 am
We will conduct interviews for the hiring of students in accordance with the general policy for the Ottawa region.
Submission of Application:
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume;
- A covering letter;
- Transcript with undergraduate marks;
- A copy of first and second year law school grades (as available);
- The name, address, and telephone number of at least two references, one preferably a former employer;
- A list of anticipated upper year courses; and
- Reference letters are optional but encouraged.
All other questions should be directed to
Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP
Suite 300, 50 O’Connor St.
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6L2
Direct Line: 613-231-8354
Toll-free in Canada: 1-833-892-3331