Peter Cronyn is a partner with Nelligan Law. Peter has practiced trial advocacy exclusively for his entire career, with an emphasis on Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death and Professional Liability.
Throughout his career, he has represented individuals, insurers and corporate clients on a broad range of matters, including
- personal injury
- wrongful death
- aviation accidents
- mass disasters
- sexual assault
- abuse and harassment
- product liability
- occupier’s liability
- property and damage loss
- business interruption
- fire loss
- bad faith
In addition, he has extensive experience in cases involving the professional liability and malpractice of doctors, nurses, hospitals, dentists, lawyers, architects, engineers and other professionals.
Watch Peter speak about why he practises law
Peter also has broad experience in representing clients in commercial disputes, including contract disputes, directors’ and officers’ liability, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities litigation. He has also represented clients in intellectual property and technology-related disputes and litigation.
Peter was inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers as a Fellow in 2009. He was the President of The Advocates’ Society in 2008-09, and was also the President of the County of Carleton Law Association in 1994-5.
Since 2008, Peter has been selected every year to be included in editions of the Best Lawyers in Canada, in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, and Insurance Law. He was selected as Best Lawyers’ Ottawa “Lawyer of the Year”:
- In 2010 for Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- In 2015 for Insurance Law and
- in 2017 and again in 2021 for Personal Injury Litigation
In addition, he has been recognized by Benchmark Canada as one of the preeminent litigation practitioners in Ontario in both the 3rd and 4th editions, as well as recognized as one of the leading practitioners in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the areas of Commercial Insurance Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation.
Peter has delivered numerous papers at conferences convened by the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, The Advocates’ Society, the County of Carleton Law Association, and the University of Ottawa. He is a co-author of the text Personal Injury Actions and author of Product Liability Update: Current and Emerging Trends in the 1998 Law Society of Upper Canada Special Lectures.
Peter enjoys the intellectual challenge of law, and the opportunity to help people, especially those who need a voice. Typically, his clients have had something adverse and often traumatic occur in their lives or businesses. Over the course of his career he has mastered the skills of negotiation and trial advocacy. As a result, he is well-positioned to help these clients navigate through the legal process and obtain the best possible outcome.
In 2013, Peter completed the award-winning program offered by the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (Pepperdine University School of Law) “Mediating the Litigated Case”. With that training, he is also well-positioned to offer services as a mediator. Peter believes mediation provides the best opportunity for parties to craft their own resolution to their dispute as opposed to someone else imposing one on them.
Outside of work, Peter’s wife and family are the biggest priorities in his life (and that family includes a lot of dogs too!). Peter also pursues an active life – in summer, that involves running, cycling, swimming, golf, hiking, horseback-riding, tennis and kayaking, while in winter he is an avid skier, both alpine and Nordic. Peter’s passions include sports, film, books, music, art, cooking and travel.
- >Call to Ontario Bar (1979)
- >LL.B., University of Ottawa (1977)
- >B.A., University of Western Ontario (1973)
Professional Activities and Organizations
- >The Advocates' Society (Director, Executive, President) (2001 - 2009)
- >Law Society of Upper Canada Bar Admission Course – Instructor
- >University of Ottawa – Assistant Professor (1992 - 2001)
- >Ontario Centre for Advocacy Training – Instructor
- >The Medical-Legal Society of Ottawa-Carleton
- >Canadian Bar Association
- >County of Carleton Law Association (Trustee, Executive, President) (1986 - 1994)
- >Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- >Lexwork International - Member of the Litigation Group
- >United Way - Legal Section Chair (1986 - 1988)
- >United Way - Professional Division Chair (1997 - 2000)
- >Ottawa Hospital Foundation Legacy Campaign (2005 - 2008)