Taiji Yoshino is a Patent Agent at Nelligan Law, specializing in intellectual property matters relating to drafting and prosecuting patent, industrial design, and trademark applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
He also handles matters related to copyright and IP licensing for clients from Ottawa, across Canada and internationally. Taiji provides technical support for patent litigations (patent validity and infringement analysis) in both the United States and Canada.
Taiji has significant experience in the computer engineering science and telecommunication fields. He has a comprehensive technical background, including work with semiconductor design. His patent practice focuses primarily on software engineering, information technology, data communication, telecommunication, mechanical engineering, and renewable energy technologies. He has also been involved with embedded control systems, gamma-ray detection systems, industrial fabric, and medical devices.
Prior to joining the Intellectual Property Group at Nelligan Law, Taiji spent over twelve years working in the high-tech industries both in Canada and in Japan. His extensive technical and business experience, coupled with his IP training, enable him to provide clients with valuable and practical business advice, as well as IP solutions. He is also familiar with Quality Control issues, applying this knowledge to maintain and improve his IP practice.
Taiji prides himself on being thorough and quick to respond to queries and suggestions. He derives great professional satisfaction when a patent is approved. He knows from his own experience working with high-tech industries just how this can affect and change the course of a business.
Taiji’s other passion is his family. It says something about Taiji that his main challenge in life is training his boisterous golden retriever. He is also an enthusiastic cook, and during gatherings at home Taiji can often be found in the kitchen carefully slicing nori and preparing sushi ingredients.
- >B.Sc. (Honours) Computer Science, University of California, Davis, California, USA (1992)
- >Associate of Art Degree, College of Siskiyous, Weed, California, USA (1990)
Professional Activities and Organizations
- >Intellectual Property Institute of Canada - member of Joint Liaison Committee - Industrial Design
- >Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – Lead of International Issue Subgroup, Patent Committee
- >International Trademark Association (INTA)
- >American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- >Lexwork International - Member of the Intellectual Property Group